The BUSIT card ticketing and fare system (including the 60+ card) is available on all Hamilton city routes. The BUSIT card system (excluding the 60+ card) is also available on Huntly, Paeroa and Raglan services.
- The BUSIT card is a ‘stored valued’ card. This means that credit can be loaded onto the card for future bus travel.
- You can load credit on your card by paying your bus driver cash, or paying by eftpos at the Hamilton city Transport Centre.
- The BUSIT card is a ‘contactless’ card which our ticketing machine reads automatically. You don’t need to ‘swipe it’ or even take it out of your wallet.
The BUSIT card:
- has a one-off purchase price of $5, which includes a plastic card holder
- has a 'life' of around 2 years or more (approximately 25,000 transactions)
- can store between $10 to $300 worth of bus travel credit
- saves you worrying about finding the right change for cash fares.
The BUSIT ticketing system (excluding the 60+ card) is also available on all Hamilton routes as well as
* Please note fare prices for these routes are not the same as those used on Hamilton city routes.
BUSIT card guidelines and useful tips
How much does a BUSIT card cost?
A new BUSIT card costs $15 (non-refundable), but you are given a $10 credit to get you started!
Benefits of a BUSIT card
- Discounted fares.
- You do not have to carry cash every time you ride a bus.
- It makes traveling on buses easy for individuals who have trouble handling cash.
BUSIT cards also make excellent gifts!
60+ BUSIT card
60+ cards are available for purchase at the BUSIT counter at the Transport Centre.
The initial card issue cost is $15, however this card entitles the bearer to even greater discounted travel between the hours of 9 am and 3 pm Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday.
Please advise the driver you have a 60+ card when boarding, so they charge you the correct fare. If you do not inform the driver when boarding, they will not be responsible for you being charged the full BUSIT card fare.
Keep your BUSIT card purchase receipt
When you buy your new BUSIT card, keep your receipt - it contains your BUSIT card serial number. If you lose your BUSIT card we will use your serial number to track the credit amount left on your card.
Where can I purchase and top up my BUSIT card?
You can purchase or top up a BUSIT card from:
- the BUSIT or ticketing counter at the transport centre on the corner of Bryce and Anglesea Streets. Pay with cash or eftpos. TheBUSIT counter is open Monday-Friday 8am-4.30pm.
- your bus driver. Pay with cash only - excludes 60+ cards.
When topping up your BUSIT card, the minimum amount is $10. When you load money onto your card, please keep your receipt and check the amount loaded is correct.
How do I check the balance on my BUSIT card?
You can find out how much credit you have left on your BUSIT card by:
- visiting the BUSIT team at the transport centre
- checking your last ticket - the amount left on your card is at the bottom
- asking a bus driver to check your card and let you know the balance.
Lost BUSIT cards
Replacement BUSIT cards cost $5. If you have kept the original purchase receipt of your BUSIT card (that has the serial number on it), and your most recent bus ticket, we can transfer that credit onto a replacement card. This can only be transfered if your credit amount is above $10. If the credit amount is below $10, you will need to pay the difference to make it up to $10. For example, if the credit on your card is $5.80, you will need to pay $4.20 to top up the card to $10.
If you do not have a recent BUSIT ticket (which contains your card's credit balance), you will have to wait until the beginning of the next month for your card balance to be available to us. We accept no responsibility for cards we are unable to obtain balances for.
Take care of your BUSIT card
Your BUSIT card needs to be looked after like any other electronic card. Please do not bend, scratch, hole-punch or physically damage the card in anyway, as this will stop the card from functioning and you’ll need to purchase a replacement card.
Terms and conditions
- BUSIT cards remain the property of the issuer – Waikato Regional Council.
- No refunds are made on the loss or damage of a card.
- Stored value on BUSIT cards cannot be refunded.
- BUSIT cards can be used on services within the Hamilton city area, as well as Raglan, Huntly, Paeroa, Managakino, Tokoroa and Taupo.
- The holder/owner of this card must abide by the operator’s standard terms and conditions of carriage.